titleMarpole Japanese Language School; Vancouver, BC

 

namePhotograph

 

dateCirca 1940

 

descriptionAn image of a group of students and teachers standing in front of a school, 8757 Selkirk, Vancouver.

 


 

In the back row from left to right is unidentified, unidentified, Jiro Nishimura, Masao Nishi, unidentified, Tosh Seki, Mr Furukawa, John Suzuki, Tom Ono, unidentified, Binosuke Higo, unidentified, unidentified, Tosh Tokiwa, unidentified, Sumi Tokiwa, Eoeko Irie, unidentified, Sentero Suzuki, unidentified, Mr Tokiwa, unidentified, Ichiro Nishimura and unidentified.

 


 

In the third row from left to right is unidentified, unidentified, Mr Ito, Mr Nishimura, unidentified, unidentified, unidentified, Joe Komori, Mr Furukawa, unidentified, Roy Mariatsumari, Sim Irie, unidentified, Bob Nukioda?, unidentified, unidentified, unidentified, unidentified, unidentified, unidentified, unidentified, Emmie Komori, unidentified, unidentified, unidentified, unidentified, unidentified, Mr Sunohara?, and unidentified.

 


 

The man sitting below the third row on the left is unidentified.

 


 

The second row from left to right is Tom Yamamoto, unidentified, unidentified, unidentified, unidentified, unidentified, unidentified, Matsutoshi Komori, unidentified, Mr Fukumoto, unidentified, unidentified, unidentified, Rev G Nakayama, unidentified, unidentified, unidentified, unidentified, unidentified, unidentified, Kazuko Nishimura, unidentified, Mr Seki, unidentified and Tom Uchima.

 


 

In the front row form left to right is Tomiko Fukumoto, Sachiko Nakagawa, Florence Seki, Riyeko Higo, Akiko Nishimura, Sueki Nishi, unidentified, Hamako Yamamoto, Hiromute Komore, Saburo Nishimura, Ichiro Matsui, unidentified, unidentified, Mr Matsuzaki (Teacher), Saburo Miike, unidentified, Yushieki (Tosh) Fujioka, unidentified, Toyoko Komori, unidentified, unidentified, unidentified, unidentified, Reg Higo and unidentified.

 

history of use

 

On February 24, 1991 a ceremony was held to acknowledge the history of the Marpole Boy Scout Hall. The ceremony acknowledged the Japanese Canadian community's creation of the building in 1927, of which was originally utilized as a Japanese language school. After World War II, the building was confiscated by the government and sold to the Marpole Boy Scouts in 1946. The hall was physically moved in 1963 and then again in 1984.

 

part ofToshiyuki and Mary Seki collection
number1992.21

 

organisation

 

Nikkei National Museum
accessOpen